Sunday, January 4, 2015

Catan and Catan Histories

We recently played Catan, the Ancient Egypt edition.  Now I like Catan...Ray doesn't. It isn't that he hates it, just that he feels it is too long for what it is (for instance with 4 players, Egypt took us 3 hours).    I like base Catan and I enjoy the various expansions (I think the seafarers one is pretty cool), but I really enjoy the historicals.  So I wanted to tell you about the ones I like/don't like of those. 

Now Trials to Rails (the American one)...I want to like this one. Seriously, I did.  But I don't. It is long and repetitive and the mechanics just weren't well thought out/executed.  There are some cool features, but it just isn't that good.  We ended up selling this one.  From what I've seen/heard, the European one (Merchant of Europe) seems to be very similar, so I haven't even tried it.

We do have Struggle for Rome, which I really like. I like that there are two stages of the game...you are wandering, then settle down. I think this really helps and makes this a cool, and unique, version.  I think this is worth picking up and trying.

I also think the new Ancient Egypt one is as well.  Now this comes with the base game in essence, but I have no idea why you'd want to play it. We did the Great Pyramid one and that was fun. I like the addition of the Nile, the God cards, the Great Pyramid.  My biggest "beef" with the game is that the components just aren't up to snuff...and given the price point, they should be.  So that was a major disappointment...the Great Pyramid was well....pathetic. 

My husband's (who doesn't like Catan much as mentioned) favorite is Catan Germany, which was one of the Geographies.  I think the rest ended up just being maps. The production value here is EXCELLENT and the game is fun, the landmarks are just cool and the map is very true to Germany. 

We also have a few random maps, which are just fun to have around. 

We also have played Star Trek Catan and have the extra maps, really this is just a re-theming, no new additions. 

There are two card games: Rivals and Struggle. Rivals is just two player and has a TON of expansions. My biggest beef is that this pretty long and takes a TON of room to play. I like it, but I wish it wasn't so cumbersome to set up/play.  Struggle plays 2-4 and is much more compact....this is the one we still own (we gave the other to my brother). It is fast version of Catan and relatively simple to set up/play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment